Friday, January 18, 2008

Overwhelmed




Acadian granite, gneiss from Delaware, Grand Canyon sandstone/shale cliffs and slopes, intrusive basalt into Acadian granite, angular unconformities at Siccar Point, Scotland...

BUT!

I identified schist and gneiss and marble in my rock collection!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I wish I could measure the mass and weight of these rocks; the schist and gneiss seems so light. Not like granite. But I guess when compacted into enormous bedrock, they can support sky scrapers. I think schist is the main rock foundation of Manhattan. And where the skyscrapers are built depends on how deep down the schist is. If it's too deep, not tall buildings. I know this is common sense, but I didn't realize that depth varied so much up and down Manhattan.


And I was identifying marble as quartz and it is definitely not - I hope. The crystal structures are different. I have a loop to magnify my vision. I wish I had a microscope.








This is mica:










I don't know what this is, but I find it in Central Park:

No comments: